Monday, December 30, 2019

What I Would Lke To See Lost in 2020

Posted by Susan B James on 10:42:00 PM with No comments
My minister asked us to make a list of what would we would like gone from our lives in 2020. He invited us to bring our list to church next Sunday and, in lieu of a burning bowl, burn it in our outside grill.
After listening to both sides of the outpourings  of anger from The RWA and the equally vociferious voices of my many politically outspoken friends on both side of the political spectrum I decided on one thing I want gone from my life.

The need to be right. 

I may not agree with what you say and believe, but I think we are all good people trying to do the right thing. We simply have different ideas of what the right thing is. 

To my author and reader friends.
I believe there some poor ideas being spread around.

I don't want to be told that as an author I have no right to write multiracial stories because I am white. (Yes, I have been told that.)
I don't want to be told I am a racist because I read and love Georgette Heyer because there aren't any black people in her Regency novels and I am perpetrating racism by reading them.

If you believe any of the above, I honor your views even though I don't agree with them.

I would prefer that we honor each other by acknowleging we all have stories and we should be allowed to write what is in out hearts to write. And read what pleases us as humans.


My favorite poem is  "Outside of all notions of right doing and wrong doing, There is a field. I will meet you there."  Rumi

I wish you a wonderful 2020 filled with lots of happy reading. 













0 comments :

Post a Comment

I love reading comments! Please do.