Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Spooky Reads

Posted by Susan B James on 3:00:00 AM with No comments
Happy Halloween. In honor of the eerie holiday I offer you some spooky reads.
While I have been know to scare people,
Me as The Real Butcher in AHS Roanoke.

I myself am not much of a spooky reader.

I went afield to my LARA and Soul Mate Facebook groups and asked for suggestions. Christiana Miiller, Aurora Peridot and Allison Morse sent me suggestions. Here they are, I've linked the titles to Goodreads.

But first: S.C Mitchell's book There's No Such Thing As Werewolves is currently free on Amazon. I've read his book, Blame it on the Blarmlings and enjoyed it, So I picked up my free copy.

The list sent me gave me a few books that I as a non-scary reader wanted to read.

Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie The thought that Jen Crusie wrote a spooky book which I apparently forgot about sent me haring off to the library for a copy. I had a wonderful time reading it last week. Just my degree of scary. I highly recommend.

Summer of Fear by Lois Duncan (YA)

Ghosts by Noel Hynd

Bag of Bones by Stephen King (There is no way I'm ever reading, or watching Stephen King. The only thing we have in common is that we were both scared to death by Bambi as children.)


14 by Peter Clines This sounds interesting. If anyone has read it, please comment on how scary it is.

 Somebody Tell Aunt Tillie She's Dead by Christiana Miller
I've read this one. It's funny and spooky. Just the right amount of spookiness for me. I don't mind ghosts and magic. But I don't want to be up all night imagining terrifying things.

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. Read that book in high school and loved it. The film versions are both good, but the one with Julie Harris is the best. (Allison Morse) 
Hailed as the perfect work of unnerving terror. Not going to read it ever. (Susan)



Interview With A Vampire by Anne Rice

For Paranormal Erotic Romance with Vampires, Laurel K. Hamilton


Haunted Ground by Erin Hart Ireland. Archaeology.Mystery. A perfectly preserved head of a young woman with long red hair. I marked it to read.

Night of the Living Deed by E.J. Copperman I marked this one to read on Goodreads.

We're Off To Find The Witch's House by Richard Krieb (children's book. I want to read this to my grandson.)

The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox 
(Christiana says, not specifically Halloween, but a fun paranormal)

Murder in the Neighborhood by Janis Lane (a Halloween mystery,)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (children's book) I remember blogging in a first lines post about this book. It's pretty amazing.

Every Witch Way But Wicked (edited by Barbra Annino -Christiana  said, "it's a charity Halloween anthology that I'm in, that benefits Kids Need to Read)
I like short stories and I like the charity and it is 2.99. I bought it,

The New Vampire's Handbook: A Guide for the Recently Turned Creature of the
Night by Joe Garden

Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore

Hell House by Richard Matheson

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman
I read Practical Magic several ears ago. Not scary and very good.

 Phantoms by Dean Koontz.
Last, but it ought to be first. From the woman who won the Who Can Write the Scariest Novel contest that Lord Byron thought up in 1816 - Mary Wollstoncraft Shelley
Frankenstein 

If you want to add your favorite horror read in comments, please do. Happy Haunting.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

I love reading comments! Please do.