Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Meet MJ Compton

Posted by Susan B James on 12:30:00 AM with 6 comments
Meet MJ Compton author of a new paranormal series, Toke Lobo & The Pack. The first book of the series, Moonlight Serenade, is out now. MJ, please tell us a little about yourself.  
I’m married, have two adult children, and love to read, love to listen to music. After I lost my day job of 30 years, I not only looked for work, but spent a lot of time writing. If not for the stress of not having steady income, it would have been a great time!

I love firsts, so tell me about the moment when you found you’d made your first sale.
I didn’t tell anyone for a couple of days because I wanted to savor the news. Then I opened a bottle of sparkling wine for supper. My son (who was living with us at the time) and my husband asked, “What are we celebrating?” They tried to guess—my son kept guessing things about my husband, who kept saying, “It’s not about me, it’s about her.” There was much toasting when I shared the news. Then I texted my daughter, who was at college. She called me back, crying because she was so happy for me.

Other than your own, who are your favorite (heroes/heroines/writers) in your genre?
Maggie Shayne and Susan Sizemore are two of my favorite paranormal authors, although they’re better known for their vampires. I’m just starting to read Charlaine Harris’s Sookie Stackhouse books, and so far I love them. I don’t read a lot of werewolf books because I don’t want to be influenced by other universes.
I see you have a cover blurb from Maggie Shayne. That's impressive!

What is your favorite pastime, other than writing?
Reading! I am a voracious reader and would have my nose stuck in a book 24/7 if life permitted. When I was first invited into a critique group, I warned the other members I was a novice at writing. Their response: Yeah, but you read. A lot. And that matters.

What’s your snack of choice while writing?
I don’t like to eat while writing because it gooks up the keyboard.

Got a recipe you want to share?
Oh, I love to cook. My son and I love sharing recipes and trying out new things together.
Here’s one of my husband’s favorites—in fact, he named it. It’s one of my “pantry” meals—I keep all of the ingredients on hand year round. It’s quick and easy in addition to being healthy and delicious.
SPAGHETTI BEANS
·         2 15-oz cans white beans, drained and rinsed.
·         Olive oil
·         Minced garlic—minimum 1 teaspoon (I believe there is no such thing as too much garlic)
·         1 14-oz can petite diced tomatoes
·         ¼ cup chopped basil.
·         1 Tablespoon lemon juice
·         ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese.
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Saute the garlic until golden.
Add the bean, tomatoes, and basil.
Cook for 7 minutes or until heated through.
Add the lemon juice and the Parmesan cheese. Mix thoroughly.
Serve with a green salad.
That sounds fabulous. I can't wait to try it.

Any advice for new writers just starting out?
Join a writing group and be active. You will get back so much more than you give. 

What genre or genres do you write?
Paranormal romantic suspense and contemporary baseball romance. 

Tell us about your latest release.
Moonlight Serenade is about an alpha male werewolf who is a country music singer and sometimes works undercover for the US government. When he meets his mate, a human journalist who threatens to tell the world the government uses werewolves as spies, he has to learn to trust her and teach her to trust him. It is book one of the Toke Lobo & The Pack series.
Okay. Country singer/federal undercover agent and wolf? Sounds like a book I have to read.

What’s your current WIP?
I’m working on the third book in my Toke Lobo & The Pack series, Daughter of the Moon. The second book, And Jericho Burned, is coming out in early 2015.

And finally, where can we find you?
My webpage/blog: www.comptonplations.com
Twitter: @comptonplations
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8075221.M_J_Compton
Thanks for visiting, M.J. I've added Moonlight Serenade to mt TBR list..



6 comments :

  1. Entertaining interview! Love quick and easy recipes...Spaghetti Beans fit the bill. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book. I love S. Sizemore too. He books draw you in from the first page. Wishing you lots of sales

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try that recipe for my son. Best wishes and much success for your new books MJ. Thanks Susan for an interesting interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, love the Spaghetti Beans recipe. Lots of fiber to combat the carbs in the beans. Can't wait to try it. Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooops. I meant to say MJ, not Susan. I got distracted with signing in on blogger. :(

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! Please do.